Music Ministry Part-Time Permanent 10hrs/week
University Community Church Windsor (UCC)
Who we are
University Community Church Windsor (UCC) is located conveniently next to the University of Windsor. We are a gathering of Jesus’ followers seeking to bring together the students of the University of Windsor with the surrounding neighbourhood in Holy Community. UCC is a member of the Reformed tradition within the Presbyterian Church in Canada. As an inclusive, affirming congregation, we seek to honour the diversity of God’s creation. We believe our community is richer when we include people of all ages, gender identities,sexual orientations, racial and cultural backgrounds, abilities, economic circumstances and family configurations.
We invite all to participate into the life, leadership, witness and ministry of UCC Windsor. We continually seek to provide a safe space so that each person can bring every aspect of their whole self into participation within this congregation.
We have a casual atmosphere that seeks to allow all to feel at ease.We continually question what we think we know in our journey with God through life, and we encourage a sense of community as we share our life experiences. We want to be a place where we can continue to grow forward in learning to love each other and our neighbours as we are, and in so doing discover who God is calling us to be. We often offer times of discussion in the service; contemplation through the arts (visio divina), music, word and song.
We believe music is one aspect of worship. It has the ability to connect us to ourselves, to one another and to God. Music encourages reflection, connection, and transformation along with the inspired word of God. The music director will lead a creative, vibrant, diverse, accessible and engaged worship culture. This person will seek ways to grow this ministry and adapt it as necessary to be in line with the mission of the church as set out by the Leadership Team.
As such the following duties will be involved:
- The music director will recruit, equip, coordinate and shepherd those involved in worship ministries, and provide mentorship and development for worship leaders and participants of all ages.
- On a weekly basis coordinate directly with the pastor in the planning of each weekend service.
- Participate in weekly meetings with the pastor and bi-annual meeting with the Leadership Team and otherwise as requested.
- Provide a pre-service music playlist to the AV volunteer.
- Participate as a collaborative member of the AV team to ensure that sound equipment, as well as church instruments (pianos) are well-organized and kept in good condition.
- Lead and coordinate music for Sunday worship services, other special services and events.
- Identify, and recruit, a team of musicians and vocalists to support this ministry.
- Lead weekly worship rehearsals ensuring that the team is well prepared for each service
- Schedule and co-ordinating worship teams and team members.
- Oversee and develop the music ministry inclusive of adults, youth, and children.
- Incorporate new music and other creative elements into the services.
- Oversee the set-up and takedown of all equipment.
- Provide a substitute musician when on holiday.
- Must have strong musical skills: able to vocalize and play an instrument in a manner consistent with both a contemporary and traditional worship style. Piano is preferred.
- Create meaningful worship services that involve multiple and/or blended worship cultures and traditions and seek to reflect our diverse city and connect many different people with Jesus.
- Be able to shepherd and direct both instrumentalists and vocalists to be a team that effectively leads people in worship.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational and relational abilities consistent with a ministry leadership role.
- Must demonstrate initiative, creativity, and excellence in leading within the established vision of the Pastor and Leadership Team as a whole.
- Must be committed to ongoing improvement, with an understanding of both strengths and weaknesses.
- Must understand how to use media and technology in an effective way to contribute to worship and other events in the church.
- Be familiar with CCLI to assist in reporting and how to use software such as SongSelect.
- Knowledge of Propresenter (optional).
- Help administer any licenses and subscriptions in line with the budget.
- Support the ministries of University Community Church.
- Become familiar with and adhere to Leading with Care policies within the Presbyterian Church.
Contract length: 1 year to be renewed
Permanent Part-time based on 10 hrs/week
University Community Church
2320 Wyandotte Street West, Windsor, Ontario
Contact name: Catherine Romiens
Please submit an audio or video sample of your work with your resume.
All COVID-19 protocols are being followed as required at the time and may involve
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place