Music Ministry Director Part-Time Permanent 10 hrs/week
University Community Church Windsor Ontario
Who we are
University Community Church (UCC) is conveniently located next to the University of Windsor. UCC is a member of the Reformed tradition within the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The people of UCC are a gathering of Jesus’ followers seeking to bring people – the students of the University of Windsor, the surrounding neighbourhood, those exploring the faith, those who are seeking a deeper faith – together in Holy community.
We believe our community is richer when we include people of all ages; gender identities; racial and cultural backgrounds; sexual orientations; abilities; economic circumstances, and family configurations. As an inclusive, affirming congregation, we honour the diversity of God’s creation. No one is excluded on any of these bases to join into the life, leadership, witness and ministry of UCC Windsor.
We seek to provide a safe place where each person can bring their whole self into relationship with God through Jesus Christ. We believe everyone needs a third place, somewhere they can be known apart from home, work/school and we acknowledge even these might be absent for some.
The atmosphere of our church is intentionally casual. It is meant to encourage all people to feel at ease as we continually explore our journey with God. We want to be a place where people grow in their relationship with God, and connection with Jesus and discover who God is calling them to be.
We focus on the spiritual growth of those who call UCC home. For us, this involves questioning and exploring, not just receiving information about what to believe. We believe the church is called to serve the people in the congregation and in the neighbourhood.
Our worship time often offers a variety of means to explore faith either through time of discussion; contemplation through the arts or other activities in addition to the sermon and songs. It should stir us to see how God is calling us to be for ourselves, and each other. It encourages us to live this out through kindness and justice oriented action as Jesus Christ taught.
At UCC music is one aspect of worship. It is a ministry to encourage connection, reflection and transformation. As such, the music director will develop a focused creative, vibrant, diverse, accessible time of music that will help the congregation prepare their hearts and minds to connect with God, hear the word of God, listen to it preached and respond to it.
This person will seek ways to grow this ministry and adapt it as necessary to be in line with the mission of the church as set out by the Leadership Team on behalf of the congregation.
The following duties will be involved. The music director will:
- On a weekly basis, meet and coordinate directly with the Pastor in the planning of each service. Be prepared to offer suggestions of songs based on the message theme and scripture.
- Lead the music team in weekly Sunday worship services, other special services and events.
- Provide a playlist to the AV team for before and after the service, special services and other events are needed.
- Identify, and recruit musicians and vocalists to support this ministry, ensuring it is inclusive of all people.
- Schedule and coordinate worship teams.
- Coordinate and oversee practices with those involved in the music ministry ensuring the participants are well prepared for each service.
- Liaise with the sound person for set up requirements of microphones for each service.
- Provide mentorship for the team.
- Ensure the sound equipment, as well as church instruments are well-organized and kept in good condition.
- Identify and suggest AV needs to the AV Team that will improve congregational participation.
- Participate in bi-annual meetings with the Leadership Team, and meet the Leadership Team as requested.
- Oversee the set-up and takedown of all equipment.
- Care for the piano and other instruments as needed.
- Submit CCLI reporting.
- Help to administer any licenses and subscriptions as budgeted.
- Provide a substitute musician when on holiday.
- Have a strong ability to play a lead instrument like the piano or guitar in a manner consistent with a contemporary worship style.
- Must be comfortable with singing in front of the congregation.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills to organize participants, directing and shepherding them musically to ensure a strong music experience for the congregation.
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity in creating meaningful worship services that involve diverse music to connect many different people with Jesus.
- Be aware of the use of inclusive language in the song chosen.
- Be committed to ongoing self-improvement, with an understanding of both strengths and weaknesses.
- Become comfortable with the current worship software (Presenter) to ensure songs are correctly included in the order of service for each Sunday or event.
- Support the ministry of University Community Church.
- Become familiar with and adhere to Leading with Care policies within the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
Contract length: 1 year to be renewed
3 month probation
Permanent Part-time based on 10 hrs/week
University Community Church
2320 Wyandotte Street West, Windsor, Ontario
Contact: Catherine Romiens
Where possible please include a sample of your work such as a video of you playing an instrument, singing or leading worship.
All relevant COVID-19 protocols are being followed and may change in accordance to government guidelines.